From the description:
ArcGIS is a great way to discover and use maps. Maps come to life in ArcGIS. Tap on the map or use your current location and discover information about what you see. You can query the map, search and find interesting information, measure distances and areas of interest and share maps with others.
Find community hosted maps from ArcGIS Online – ESRI’s online GIS. Alternatively you can use the authoring tools on ArcGIS.com to create your own maps that can be used in ArcGIS.
If you are an existing ESRI customer this application is part of your ArcGIS system. You can share your corporate maps and extend the reach of your GIS to your iOS devices within your enterprise using ArcGIS Server.
- Navigate map galleries in just a few taps
- Use maps authored in ArcGIS.com
- Access your own GIS data
- Display and zoom to current location
- Perform linear and area measurements based on your current location or by interacting with the map.
- Retrieve detailed map metadata
- View feature attribute information
- Perform keyword search and get access to relevant information
- Execute predefined searches
- Change the visibility of layers
- Access popular maps faster by adding them to your favorites list
- Share maps with other iPhone/iPad users
The app allows you to discover and consume services from ArcGIS.com (previously known as ArcGIS Online) and it only supports ArcGIS Server map services.
In addition to ArcGIS for iOS, ESRI is also working on an ArcGIS API for iOS for developers. The API was just released in beta and is expected to be released in the 3rd quarter of 2010.